How to Identify Poison Ivy

Are you familiar with the saying, “Leaves of three? Let them be!”? If not, it’s valuable advice! Being able to recognize poison ivy can greatly improve your camping trip or any outdoor adventure.

Toxicodendron radicans, commonly known as poison ivy, is a toxic plant that can cause an itchy rash. The plant contains a clear liquid oil called “urushiol.”

It is the urushiol oil that triggers the allergic reaction in up to 80 percent of people who come into contact with poison ivy.

Poison ivy is not actually an ivy, although it resembles one in appearance. It can be challenging to identify at times and is found throughout the United States.

Poison ivy can be found in three different forms: a trailing vine, a shrub, or a climbing vine that grows on trees, fences, buildings, etc. It can be found anywhere from your backyard to the woods to the sides of highways.

Since poison ivy blends in with other plants, caution must be taken when hiking in the woods or walking in areas with dense vegetation.

If you are unsure whether a plant is poison ivy, look for these indicators:

1. clusters of three leaves (“leaves of three”)

2. shiny (not fuzzy) leaves that are smooth

3. no thorns

Poison ivy’s appearance can vary depending on the season. Leaves that start off red or light green can darken as they mature before changing to red, yellow, or orange in the fall.

Two other toxic plants that contain urushiol are poison oak and poison sumac. Be on the lookout for these plants as well!

Identifying poison ivy can also be difficult because many plants have “leaves of three.” If you are unsure, it is best to avoid touching it altogether. When it comes to poison ivy, it is better to be safe than sorry!

If you suspect that you have come into contact with poison ivy, it is important to wash your skin with soap and water as soon as possible. If feasible, take a hot, soapy shower.

The urushiol oil is what triggers the allergic reaction when it penetrates your skin. If you can wash it off within 10 minutes of contact, you may be able to prevent an allergic reaction and the subsequent itchy rash.

You should also wash any clothing, shoes, gardening tools, or pets that may have come into contact with poison ivy. Urushiol oil on your clothes, shovel, or dog can cause a rash if touched later on.

The oil can remain on unwashed items for a significant amount of time. It is not uncommon to develop a poison ivy rash from shoes that were worn when stepping on poison ivy the previous summer!

Once you have an allergic reaction to poison ivy, resulting in an itchy rash, there is not much you can do other than treat the skin and try to alleviate the discomfort. Cold showers and calamine lotion can provide relief, as can oatmeal baths. More severe cases may require a visit to the doctor for antihistamines or steroid shots to reduce itching and swelling.

Contrary to popular belief, the fluid that sometimes oozes from poison ivy blisters does not spread the poison. The only thing that can cause an allergic reaction is urushiol oil.

Once urushiol oil binds to your skin, it is absorbed and cannot be transferred to another person. Therefore, after showering following exposure to poison ivy, it is not contagious and cannot be transmitted to another person.

Interestingly, individuals sensitive to poison ivy may also experience a similar rash from mangoes. Mangoes belong to the same family as poison ivy, and both the sap of the mango tree and the skin of mangoes contain a chemical similar to urushiol oil.

Give It a Try

If you’re eager to learn more about identifying and treating poison ivy, make sure to explore the following activities with a friend or family member:

  • The best way to avoid poison ivy is to prevent contact with it in the first place! Can you identify poison ivy? Practice identifying different types of poison ivy by looking at pictures: + Poison Ivy Pictures + What Poison Ivy Looks Like
  • Think you know what poison ivy looks like? There’s a simple way to find out…and no, it doesn’t involve venturing into the woods for a field test. Instead, take this quiz to test your knowledge: + Poison Ivy Quiz
  • If you’re ready for some exercise, grab a friend or family member and go on a hike in the wilderness. Choose a local park or forest and enjoy a nice hike. Along the way, observe the plants you come across. Can you spot any poison ivy? If you need help identifying poison ivy in the wild, print out a few pictures in advance and take them with you. Have fun learning to recognize the plants you should avoid when you’re in the woods!

Interesting Sources

  • http://kidshealth.org/kid/watch/out/poison_ivy.html
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxicodendron_radicans

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *